Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Germar

When I started this blog 18 months ago I thought about writing periodically about the people I work with here.  The blog turned into a view of my world through the different patients I see.  I hope you enjoy hearing their stories even though they are heartbreaking at times.  During one of my waking moments last night I thought about resurrecting the idea to include stories about the staff here.  I realized I am not a good reporter as I interviewed my nurse today but here it goes.
 
Germar, as many of you know is my Nurse.  She works with me doing rounds and then acts as my interpreter during the remainder of the day in OPD.  She also reminds me of the various things and patients I need to check on through the day.  She keeps me on task.
 
Germar is 31 years old and is single.  She was born and raised in Kumba in the South West Province.  Her Family is originally from Bafut near Bamenda so she is from the Bafut tribe and therefore does not speak, the local Kom tribe dialect.  She does speak excellent English and Pigeon and is able to communicate fairly well with the French speaking patients.  After passing her A level exams (our high school equivalent), she completed a 3 year nursing program in Bamenda and is a certified State Registered Nurse.  She has been working at St Martin de Porres Hospital for 3 years.  She is actively involved in the Hospital community singing with the choir and involved with most of the special events through the year.  She is also secretary of the HIV Therapeutic Committee which meets weekly to decide on all treatment decisions of our 1000 plus HIV patients.
 
Her hobbies include reading, watching movies and playing computer games.  She has never been outside of Cameroon.  She has been to the ocean but only got her feet wet as she does not swim.
 
Her dream is to some day to become a Public Health Nurse and be involved in patient counseling.


No comments:

Post a Comment