Thursday, April 19, 2012

Jones

Jones
Beruda is a local NGO that runs a program to assist orphans in Belo, a community 10 miles away.  Most of the children in the program have lost both parents to HIV.  They live with relatives, most often the grandmother.  The social workers bring them to our clinic for an annual physical and HIV testing.  Yesterday I saw 10 of the Beruda kids, the usual van load.  10 year old Jones stood out from the other children.  He was very polite and was wearing his school uniform.  He told me he was in Form 2 which was the appropriate form for his age which surprised me since his situation could have caused him to be behind in school.  The Social Worker confirmed that he was doing very well in school.  I asked Jones what he wanted to do when he finished school.  Without hesitation he told me “I want to be a Doctor”.  Many obstacles lie between Jones and his dream, may we all keep Jones and his fellow orphans in our prayers.  One hurdle was cleared yesterday, his HIV test was negative!

No comments:

Post a Comment