Monday, August 15, 2011

Following Up

Mom, Melanie and Arnold
We have over 1000 patients who are receiving their HIV care at St Martin de Porres Hospital.  I record a social history on their medical book and encourage patients to get their children and spouses checked for HIV if they have not done so.  Unfortunately, I frequently find that the testing is not done.
 
Hilda is a young mother who recently was found to have HIV.  I had given her my usual recommendation to bring her children in for testing.  Hilda arrived today to begin her HIV medication and her her 6 year old twins in tow to be tested.  I shook her hand telling her she was a good mom to bring them in.  Her response was “I can not let my family crumble”.  A universal response that most mothers have.  To everyone’s delight Arnold and Melanie both tested negative.

No comments:

Post a Comment