Saturday, September 11, 2010

What a Challenge

In so many ways we are all alike.  

September means in Njinikom what it means in America.  It is the start of a new school year.  It is hard to not feel the excitement and the apprehension that the students were feeling as I prepared for the start of the school year.  

I was aware of the larger class sizes here by comparison to those that  my grandchildren attend.  No amount of talking about it could have prepared me for what it felt like to walk in to the classroom and get my first look at my Form 1 class.  I had been told in the morning that my class had 45 students in it.  Somehow between that morning at 7:30 and 1:30 that same afternoon my class had grown to 61 children.  After class, the principal informed me that students were still arriving and that I could end up with perhaps 70 students in that class.  

How many ways can I say what a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment